Lisa's Rocky Roads
This article has not been rated yet.
Lisa's Rocky Roads With a Twist (Lisa Raffoul, Tecumseh, Ont.) Much as we wanted to resist these squares, it was, alas, impossible. Maybe it was the marshmallows (the test batch was prepared with multi-coloured ones), maybe it was because so many of our judges were under 16, maybe it was the chocolate drizzles on top - I don't know. They were, according to seven-year-old Hayley, "too much." We all happily agree.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts , or pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 300-mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 28-g squares semi-sweet chocolate , (3 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. If using a glass baking dish, preheat the oven to 325F/160C instead.
- Pour graham crumbs into a 9 x 13 in. (22 x 33 cm) baking dish. Add melted butter to crumbs and mix well. Pat crumb mixture down to form the bottom layer. Sprinkle the coconut over the crumb crust, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over coconut, then the marshmallows evenly over nuts. Sprinkle both chocolate and butterscotch chips over the marshmallows. And finally, pour the condensed milk evenly over everything. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until marshmallows have melted and are golden. Remove from oven.
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt the semi-sweet chocolate squares, then drizzle tastefully over everything. Let cool completely before cutting squares.