Lemon Blueberry Cake
This article has not been rated yet.
One cake; 8 servings
Serve up some guilt-free lemon blueberry cake tonight and don't hesitate to let it encore for breakfast!
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup kamut flour , or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 cups plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract , or vanilla (optional)
- Icing: Do this the night before! Line a sieve with cheesecloth, paper towelling or a coffee filter, and set over a bowl. Add plain low-fat or non-fat yogurt and strain overnight in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to ice the cake, mix strained yogurt with icing sugar and almond or vanilla extract (optional).
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly oil a 9 in (23 cm) round baking pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place 2 tbsp (30 mL) of this mixture in a small bowl.
- Scrub lemon well, then dry and zest with a microplane or the finest holes of a grater. Transfer zest to a large bowl. Add yogurt, milk, honey, eggs and oil. Whisk to combine. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet, whisking to combine, then add the other half and combine. Add frozen berries to the small bowl with the remaining cornmeal mixture, tossing to coat. Gently fold all the berries and cornmeal mixture into the cake batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan, using a spatula to scrape all of the batter out of the bowl. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a rack. Allow the cake to cool completely, then spread with Let-It-Drip Icing (see recipe, below). You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Prep time: 20 minutes Total time: 60 minutes + cooling
- In a serving: 268 calories, 6.9 g protein, 8.4 g fat, 43.4 g carbohydrates, 110 mg calcium, 3.2 g dietary fibre, 1.2 mg iron, 33 mcg folate, 243 mg sodium