Grandma Edith's Marble Bundt Cake
You might have the impression that a marbled cake is tricky to make, time-consuming and requires special ingredients. Read the recipe. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
- 3/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup , (the regular chocolate-milk kind)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until very smooth and creamy, about 3 or 4 min. While you continue beating, add the milk, a little at a time. Beat for another min or so.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Add this to the milk mixture, in 3 or 4 portions, and beat until just combined.
- Now, grease a large (12-cup/3-litre) bundt pan and pour about 2/3 of the batter into the pan. Add the chocolate syrup and the baking soda to the remaining batter, and beat with the mixer just until blended. Spoon the chocolate batter into the pan over the vanilla batter. Using a spatula or knife, gently swirl the two batters together (don’t blend them, you just want a marbled effect).
- Bake at 325F for 60 to 75 min, until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for about half an hour before removing from the pan. Finish cooling on a rack, then sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.