Giant Triple-Chocolate Valentine Cookies
Better than an ordinary Valentine's card. Much better.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking soda.
- Then, in a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars with an electric mixer; add the eggs and beat until light in colour, about a min. Add the cocoa and vanilla, and keep beating until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir. Mix in the semi-sweet chocolate chips, stirring just enough to combine and making sure chips are evenly distributed.
- Spoon heaping tbsps of cookie dough onto the pans, shaping each into an exaggerated heart (they will round out a bit as they bake). Bake each pan for 10 to 12 min, until cookies are golden.
- When cookies are completely cool, put white chocolate chips into a small, heavy duty, zip-top plastic bag. Put the bag into the microwave and cook on high power for 1 min, then take the bag out and mush it around with your hands to mix. Return it to the microwave and continue melting on high power for 30 sec at a time, taking it out and massaging the bag between each increment, until the chocolate is melted.
- Holding the bag in one hand, squish all the melted chocolate down to one corner. Snip off the corner to make a small opening; this will be your piping bag. Add designs or names to each cookie.
Be careful while melting the white chocolate; it has a tendency to burn easily.