Recipe by Lianne Phillipson and excerpted from Sprout Right Family Food, published by Penguin an imprint of Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited, 2019. Photo by Dan Robb for Sprig Creative.
Fruity frozen yogurtBy Today's Parent
Get your froyo fix without the guilt. This icy treat is made with creamy Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and a ripe avocado for a burst of healthy fat.
- 1 cup full-fat plain or Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh fruit
- 1/2 ripe avocado , pitted and peeled (optional)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup , or liquid pure honey
- Divide the yogurt among the cells of an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Spread the fruit mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze.
- Once frozen, let the yogurt soften slightly out of the freezer, about 3 to 5 minutes. Purée the yogurt, frozen fruit, avocado (if using), and maple syrup in a food processor until smooth.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. Once the fruity yogurt has been frozen, let it thaw slightly before serving, as it will be solid.
Be sure to include ripe banana as part of your fresh fruit combination for its sweetness and creamy texture.