Classic Vanilla Buttercream Icing
Make this classic vanilla buttercream icing recipe to decorate your next birthday cake or batch of cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar , sifted
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, or a food processor fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until very pale and soft, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add icing sugar, beating on medium speed, until it is fully incorporated. (The icing will seem very thick at this point, but that’s OK.) Beat in milk, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. Beat in vanilla. If you feel the icing is still too thick, add an additional 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk.
- Follow icing and decorating directions for chosen birthday cake.
- Chocolate switch-up: To convert this icing recipe to Classic Chocolate Fudge Icing, add ½ cup (125 mL) Dutch-process cocoa powder (such as Fry’s) and an extra 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk.
- In a 1/4 cup (50 mL) serving: 250 calories, 0.2 g protein, 11.6 g fat, 37.6 g carbohydrates