Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Icing
The unexpected addition of grated zucchini makes this dessert effortlessly moist and rich.
1 1/2 cups
, (about 3/4 of 1 large)
2 1/4 cups
few drops blue
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil and melted butter. Add eggs; beat until incorporated. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, zucchini and chocolate chips.
- In another large bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients. Add in the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon batter into muffin pans, filling ¾ full. Bake on the centre rack for about 25 to 30 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 min; transfer to a rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make icing: In a large bowl, cream butter. Add icing sugar, milk and vanilla, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add a little blue food colouring; stir into icing. Add more colouring until desired shade is achieved.
- Spread icing on cooled cupcakes, or create swirls, as in our photo, using a piping bag with a decorative tip.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 40 g,
- 20 g,
- 3 g,
- 98 mg.