Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Icing
The unexpected addition of grated zucchini makes this dessert effortlessly moist and rich.
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cups canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini , (about 3/4 of 1 large)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder , sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- few drops blue food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil and melted butter. Add eggs; beat until incorporated. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, zucchini and chocolate chips.
- In another large bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients. Add in the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Spoon batter into muffin pans, filling ¾ full. Bake on the centre rack for about 25 to 30 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 min; transfer to a rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make icing: In a large bowl, cream butter. Add icing sugar, milk and vanilla, and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add a little blue food colouring; stir into icing. Add more colouring until desired shade is achieved.
- Spread icing on cooled cupcakes, or create swirls, as in our photo, using a piping bag with a decorative tip.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 40 g,
- 20 g,
- 3 g,
- 98 mg.