Chocolate Pound Cake with Fudgy Glaze
By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cooking time: 65 minutes, Standing time: 1 hour
Dinner guests will be wowed when this chocolate pound cake appears at the end of the meal. (You don't have to tell them how easy it was to make!)
1 1/4 cup
, (such as Fry's)
, (about 1/2 cup)
, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter a 9 x 5-in. loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda in a bowl and stir until uniform.
- Combine sour cream and vanilla in a bowl and stir until uniform.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat really well between additions.
- Add half of flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add sour cream mixture, and beat until incorporated. Beat in remaining flour mixture.
- Scrape into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 to 65 min or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 min, then run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen cake. Turn out, remove parchment paper and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Combine chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a small, heavy-bottomed pot over low heat. Stir constantly until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spoon over the top of the cake so it drizzles down the sides. Let stand 1 hr, or until glaze is set, before slicing.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 40 g,
- 25 g,
- 2 g,
- 201 mg.
Most unsweetened cocoa powder sold in Canadian grocery stores in Dutch-processed, but when in doubt read the label.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2014 issue.