Excerpted from Farm-Fresh Recipes by Heather Cameron. Published by Cico Books. Originally published in the August 2013 issue. Photo by Janis Nicolay.
Mini Blueberry PiesBy Heather Cameron
1 h 10 min
6 mini pies
Forget making muffins, mini blueberry pies are what's in order for a fun weekend baking project.
- 1 cup unsalted butter , very cold
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp 35% cream , for brushing
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar , for sprinkling
For Blueberry Filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Chop butter into cubes.
- Drop into a large bowl. Add flour and salt, and work with a pastry cutter or your fingers until butter is the size of peas.
- Mix egg and water in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over the butter and flour mixture. Mix as well as you can with a fork, then use your hands to mix it, but just a bit. You’re not looking to make a smooth ball of dough, just a loose flaky mixture.
- Grab just over half of the dough mix—it will be crumbly in spots, and pile it on top of a sheet of wax paper. Place a second sheet on top of the pile and press it down with your hands.
- Take your rolling pin and roll it out between the wax paper. Roll it fairly thin and wide enough to fit six muffin wells or a glass Pyrex pie plate. Slowly peel off the top sheet. Lift the dough and wax sheet up, flip it over and lay it on your muffin wells or pie plate.
- Gently peel off the second sheet. Press into the muffin wells or pie plate and trim off the excess (which can be added to the other half of dough for the top.)
- Place blueberries in a bowl, and with a potato masher, crush just over half of them. Add sugar and flour, and mix well. You can also experiment by adding a bit of lemon zest, preserved lemon or cinnamon.
- Pour the filling into pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 min, then turn the temperature down to 350F. Cook for 25 min. 4. Have a peek. There should be a slight browning to your crust.