Originally published in the July 2014 issue. Photo by Andrew Grinton.
Blueberry Hand PiesBy Eshun Mott
8 hand pies
Don’t be intimidated by homemade pastry. This dough comes together easily in a food processor and is simple to work with. You've got hand pies in the bag!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup block-style cream cheese , cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cold, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 3 tbsp sugar , divided
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg , beaten
- Combine flour, cream cheese, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor and process until dough begins to come together. Transfer to a bowl and gather gently into a ball. Shape into a rough square, wrap in plastic and chill for 30min.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly dust an area of countertop with flour and roll pastry out into a rectangle about 16 in. long and 12 in. wide. Using a pastry cutter (or a ruler and a knife), mark out a grid of 8 equal-sized rectangles 3.5 in. wide and 5.5 in. long. Gather scraps into a ball, re-roll and cut out 1 more rectangle.
- Toss blueberries with 2 tbsp sugar, cornstarch and lemon rind.
- Brush beaten egg around the edge of one half of a piece of pastry. Spoon about 2 heaping tbsp of the blueberry mixture inside egg-washed edge, and fold in half and press firmly to seal (make sure edges are sealed well or filling will leak). Repeat with each piece of pastry.
- Lay hand pies on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush tops with the rest of the beaten egg, cut a small X in the middle of each and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp sugar.
- Bake for 22 min or until pastry is golden and blueberry filling is bubbling.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 17 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 90 mg.