This article has not been rated yet.
Kids can help make this delicious blueberry cheesecake. They can stir together ingredients and spread the blueberry topping overtop.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 envelope (1 tbsp) unflavoured gelatin
- 1 1/2 250-g pkgs cream cheese , softened (375 g)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cups blueberries , preferably fresh (thawed frozen are OK too)
- 2/3 cup blueberry jam , or preserves
- additional fresh blueberries , for topping, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). First, make the crust. In a small bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Transfer to a 9 in (23 cm) springform pan and press firmly into the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Now the filling. Measure the water into a small micro-waveable bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the top of the water and let sit, without stirring, for about 10 minutes to let the gelatin soften. Stir (it will be lumpy, and that’s OK), then put it into the microwave and zap it on high power, for 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each zap, until the gelatin is completely dissolved and the liquid is clear.
- In a food processor, or in a large bowl with a hand-held stick blender, combine the cream cheese, whipping cream, sugar and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Add the blueberries and continue to blend until evenly combined (bits of blueberries should be showing, so don’t purée the mixture completely). Drizzle in the gelatin mixture and blend until everything is thoroughly mixed. Pour into the cooled graham cracker crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or, if possible, overnight.
- An hour or two before serving, spread the blueberry jam evenly over the top of the cheese filling and sprinkle with additional fresh blueberries. Return to the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour or longer before serving.