, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cup
1 1/2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-in. square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl and stir until uniform. Reserve.
- Place butter and dates in a small pot over medium-low heat. Stirring until butter has melted, bring just to a simmer. When butter begins to smell nutty, remove from heat and stir in applesauce and vanilla. Reserve.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer on high for 3 min or until they are pale and very fluffy. Add a third of the flour mixture and stir to combine. Blend in a third of the applesauce mixture. Repeat until everything is combined. Stir in apples and walnuts (if using).
- Scrape the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 50 min or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 min to cool, then run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack, remove parchment paper, cut into pieces and serve.
If you don’t mind using refined sugar, try sweetened applesauce for the cake and dust lightly with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 37 g,
- 12 g,
- 3 g,
- 282 mg.