Apple Walnut Coffee Cake
This article has not been rated yet.
This delicious cake is a cinch to make. Get kids to help chop apple and stir it into cake batter. They can also stir topping ingredients and sprinkle overtop.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 medium apple , peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter , softened
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8 in (20 cm) square baking dish.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the sugar, 1/4cup (50 mL) butter, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until blended – about 2 minutes. The mixture may look curdled, but that’s OK.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture along with the milk, beating just until everything is incorporated and the batter is smooth. Add the chopped apple and stir just until mixed. Scoop into the prepared baking dish and spread out in an even layer.
- Now make the topping. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, 1 tbsp (15mL) butter, and cinnamon. Smush together with a fork, just until mixed. Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter. (It’s OK if it’s clumpy and scattered – it’ll all turn out fine in the end.)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick poked into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving warm (if you’re making this cake ahead of time, you can reheat for a few minutes before serving). Or let cool completely and serve at room temperature. Either way, it’s delicious.