Almond Butter Cake
By Eshun Mott
* PLUS Cooking time: 40 minutes, Standing time: 10 minutes
Photo: Maya Visnyei
Dense and chewy like a brownie, this cake tastes as if it came from a European pastry shop (but is easily stirred together in one bowl). Serve on Mother’s Day with berries and a pot of tea.
1 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-in. round pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter.
- Combine sugar and egg in a bowl. Slowly pour in butter while whisking until ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in almond extract and ground almonds. Pour ﬂ our, baking powder and salt on top of egg mixture and stir with a spatula (scraping down sides of bowl as needed) until dry ingredients are just incorporated. (Batter will be very thick.)
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle almonds evenly overtop. Bake cake for 40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 min, then run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen and turn out of pan. Remove parchment paper and let cool fully on a rack or serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 39 g,
- 24 g,
- 2 g,
- 175 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent May 2014 issue.