Originally published in the Today’s Parent November 2015 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Peppermint Candy MeringuesBy Irene Ngo
2 hrs 30 min
30 to 35 meringues
These ridiculously easy meringues are light as air.
- 3 egg whites , at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup candy canes , or red-and-white peppermint candies
- 1/2 cup white candy melts
- Wash your hands, bowls and any utensils you will be using for this recipe to remove any trace of oil.
- Preheat oven to 200F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium-high until very foamy, then add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until combined. Continue whisking, scraping down side of bowl as needed, until stiff and glossy peaks form when whisk is lifted and sugar has dissolved, 2 to 4 min. (Meringue should not feel gritty when mixture is rubbed between your fingers.) Add peppermint extract. Whisk until combined.
- Scrape meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 3/4-in. star tip. Holding the bag with the tip close to the parchment, gently squeeze bag and pipe a 2-in.-wide meringue. Release bag and pull up to make a pointed tip. Repeat, piping meringues 1 in. apart.
- Bake in centre of oven for 2 hours. Without opening oven door, turn off heat and leave meringues in oven until completely cool, 4 to 6 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Whirl candy canes in a food processor until finely chopped. Pour into a shallow bowl. Microwave candy melts in another shallow bowl until melted, about 1 min. Dip the bottom of each cooled meringue into candy melts, then dip into candy canes. Let stand until candy melts firm up, about 15 min. Set on a platter or in cupcake liners to enjoy.