Originally published in the Today’s Parent November/December 2019 issue. Photo by Carmen Cheung.
Chocolate-mint candy cane thumbprint cookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 45 min
Mwah! Are you ready for the holiday cookie swap? These mint-kissed treats are oh-so sweet.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 36 candy cane-flavoured chocolate kisses , unwrapped
- Stir flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter with sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until fluffy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture until combined.
- Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, about 1 hr.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop heaping 1 tbsp portions of chilled dough and roll into 1-in. balls. Arrange 2 in. apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake until tops begin to crack, 10 to 11 min. Remove cookies from oven, then gently press 1 chocolate kiss in centre of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool until firm, about 3 hr or overnight. Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 2 g,
- 14 g,
- 7 g,
- 1 g,
- 44 mg.