Originally published in the Today’s Parent January/February 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Crispy bran chicken parmesanBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Your favourite comfort food comes baked with a crispy bran crust.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 pieces chicken scaloppine , about 400 g
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped basil , optional
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a large baking rack on foil and brush with oil.
- Crush bran flakes into fine crumbs with your hands in a medium bowl. Stir in Parmesan. Set aside. Whisk egg with Dijon in another medium bowl. Whisk in flour and salt. Season with pepper to taste.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Dredge each piece in egg mixture, then press into bran flake mixture to completely cover. Lay chicken on prepared rack and lightly spray with oil.
- Bake until golden-brown, about 15 min. Switch oven to broiler, then sprinkle mozzarella over chicken. Broil until mozzarella is bubbly and golden, 2 to 3 min.
- Heat marinara sauce in a small saucepan over medium-high, 2 to 3 min. Add a dollop of marinara to chicken and garnish with basil, if desired. Serve with a green salad on the side.
If you can’t find chicken scaloppine, butterfly 2 chicken breasts to make 4 flat pieces.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 35 g,
- 23 g,
- 13 g,
- 4 g,
- 789 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin b6