Photo by Erik Putz.
Slow-Cooker Breakfast CongeeBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
8 hrs 30 min
There’s something about a warm, savoury breakfast that has staying power. Set this one up before bed and take the chill out of morning.
- 4 cups water
- 900 mL pack sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed kambocha or butternut squash
- 125 g lean ground pork or chicken
- ¾ cup jasmine rice , rinsed
- 1 1 ½-inch piece ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup frozen corn , thawed
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- soy sauce , (optional)
- Combine water, broth, squash, pork, rice, ginger and salt in a slow cooker insert. Stir then cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Scoop out and discard any brown foam or protein around edge of congee.
- Stir in corn, green onions and sesame oil. Cover for 10 min. Drizzle with soy sauce to serve, if desired.
A savoury breakfast porridge is a delightful alternative to sweet, fruity breakfasts, especially as mornings get cooler. Garnish this any way you like it – chopped peanuts, crispy onions, soft boiled egg and thinly sliced celery or radish are great options.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 25 g,
- 4 g,
- 3 g,
- 300 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A