Photo by Erik Putz.
Rancheros Quinoa Breakfast BowlBy Chatelaine
With quinoa, black beans and egg, this is one seriously protein-packed start to the day.
- ½ cup quinoa , rinsed
- 1 ½ tsp canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado , peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- ½ cup finely shredded old cheddar
- ½ cup canned black beans , drained and rinsed
Lemon Yogurt Dressing
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup pepitas , (optional)
Get cooking—subscribe to our Today’s Parent Home Cooked newsletter! Cook quinoa in a medium saucepan, following package directions, 15 to 17 min. Divide quinoa among 4 bowls.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium. Crack eggs and cook until whites are set, about 5 min. Divide among bowls with avocado, tomatoes, cheese and beans.
- Dressing: Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, tahini, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over bowls and sprinkle with pepitas before serving.
Pre-cook a bit batch of quinoa and prep everything except eggs for quick morning assembly.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 28 g,
- 23 g,
- 8 g,
- 255 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin b12