PHOTO BY Brilynn Ferguson
3 1/2 oz
, about 1 loaf
- In a blender, combine melted vegan butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, tofu, nutritional yeast and vanilla. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread 1 tbsp of the peanut butter on a slice of bread and 1 tbsp of the raspberry jam on another slice of bread and smush them together. Congrats, you’ve just made a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread, peanut butter and jam.
- In a large skillet, melt vegan butter over medium-high heat. Dip one peanut butter and jam sandwich in tofu mixture and coat both sides generously.
- Place sandwich in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining sandwiches and tofu mixture, adjusting heat and buttering pan between batches, as necessary.
- Serve hot, topped with maple syrup and confectioners’ sugar.
When frying, try cooking the outside edges of the
sandwich by standing it upright until crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
Try this French toast with any nut butter or spread that you love. Vegan chocolate hazelnut spread is divine.
Recipe by Candice Hutchings and James Aita and excerpted from The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore Approved Recipes, published by Robert Rose Inc. Photo by Brilynn Ferguson.