Peanut Butter and Jam French ToastBy Today's Parent
This article has not been rated yet.
Peanut butter and jam sandwiches + French toast = the best brunch idea ever. Vegan sound too fussy? Switch out the tofu for eggs.
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 1/2 oz soft silken tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 8 slices sourdough bread , about 1 loaf
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- maple syrup
- organic confectioners sugar
- In a blender, combine melted vegan butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, tofu, nutritional yeast and vanilla. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread 1 tbsp of the peanut butter on a slice of bread and 1 tbsp of the raspberry jam on another slice of bread and smush them together. Congrats, you’ve just made a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread, peanut butter and jam.
- In a large skillet, melt vegan butter over medium-high heat. Dip one peanut butter and jam sandwich in tofu mixture and coat both sides generously.
- Place sandwich in the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining sandwiches and tofu mixture, adjusting heat and buttering pan between batches, as necessary.
- Serve hot, topped with maple syrup and confectioners’ sugar.
When frying, try cooking the outside edges of the sandwich by standing it upright until crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
Try this French toast with any nut butter or spread that you love. Vegan chocolate hazelnut spread is divine.