Photo by Erik Putz.
Egg-in-a-Hole Breakfast SandwichBy Chatelaine
This sammy is so loaded with good stuff—ham, cheese, spinach and tomato, plus a gooey fried egg—you may need a knife and fork. And a napkin.
- 4 English muffins
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 4 eggs
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 slices Swiss or mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices Black Forest ham
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- ¼ cup tomato bruschetta topping
- Spread butter on both sides of English muffins. Cut a 2 1/4-in. circle in centre of each top using a cookie cutter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add muffin bottoms and cut-out centres. Toast, flipping halfway, about 3 min. Divide among plates.
- Place muffin tops, cut-side down in pan. Crack eggs into holes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, flipping halfway, until egg white is set but yolk remains runny, 2 to 3 min. Top with cheese.
- Spread bottoms with bruschetta, then layer with ham and spinach. Sandwich with muffin tops.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 31 g,
- 21 g,
- 2 g,
- 722 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A