Pear and Cornmeal Loaf
* PLUS Baking time: 55 minutes
Photo: Maya Visnyei
A loaf is really muffins in the guise of a cake. This one is a moist cornbread studded with pieces of juicy pear. Serve it with some Greek yogurt and fresh fruit for a perfect beginning to the day.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8- or 9-in. loaf pan.
- Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup cornmeal, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp ground cardamom in a bowl and stir with a fork until uniform.
- Combine ½ cup melted unsalted butter and ¾ cup granulated sugar in a large bowl, add 2 large eggs, one at a time, and stir to incorporate. Stir in ¼ cup buttermilk and ½ tsp vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture one-third at a time, stirring until just incorporated. Stir in 2 ripe Bartlett pears that have been peeled, cored and cut into chunks.
- Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 min, or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 min, then run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen and turn out onto a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 38 g,
- 1 g,
- 141 mg.
This loaf keeps well, wrapped in plastic, for two days. Bake on the weekend for a delicious weekday breakfast or snack.