Recipe by Kristy Kohler and Eliza Larson, co-founders of Oat Mama, and excerpted from Eat to Feed: 80 Nourishing Recipes for Breastfeeding Moms, published by Hachette Book Group, 2019. Photo by Eliza Larson.
Kimchi barley bowlBy Today's Parent
This article has not been rated yet.
This recipe requires some up-front chopping and prep, but once you have all the ingredients ready to go, the dish comes together in minutes.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup kimchi , chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon kimchi juice , (the excess liquid in the kimchi jar)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- salt , to taste
- 2 soft boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup green onions , sliced
- 2 avocados , sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 12 sheets of roasted seaweed snack , cut in strips
- To cook the pearl barley, combine barley and 2 ½ cups broth or water in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook 40 minutes until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and melt butter.
- Add barley, kimchi, kimchi juice, and tamari.
- Saute, stirring continuously until barley is warmed through, kimchi is slightly wilted, and liquid is mostly evaporated, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste. Add salt as needed.
- Divide barley into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with ½ soft boiled egg, 1 tbsp green onion, ½ avocado, ½ tbsp sesame seeds, and 3 sheets of seaweed snack.
- Serve immediately.