This recipe requires some up-front chopping and prep, but once you have all the ingredients ready to go, the dish comes together in minutes.
, (the excess liquid in the kimchi jar)
, to taste
12 sheets of
, cut in strips
- To cook the pearl barley, combine barley and 2 ½ cups broth or water in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook 40 minutes until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat and melt butter.
- Add barley, kimchi, kimchi juice, and tamari.
- Saute, stirring continuously until barley is warmed through, kimchi is slightly wilted, and liquid is mostly evaporated, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste. Add salt as needed.
- Divide barley into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with ½ soft boiled egg, 1 tbsp green onion, ½ avocado, ½ tbsp sesame seeds, and 3 sheets of seaweed snack.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Kristy Kohler and Eliza Larson, co-founders of Oat Mama, and excerpted from Eat to Feed: 80 Nourishing Recipes for Breastfeeding Moms, published by Hachette Book Group, 2019. Photo by Eliza Larson.