This sweet-looking breakfast is substantial, yet simple enough to prepare on a weekday morning.
Heart-Shaped Egg in a Hole
This recipe for heart-shaped egg in a hole is perfect for Valentine's Day — or any special day.
- 4 sliced bread , preferably multi-grain
- 1 tsp butter
- 4 slices prosciutto , or thinly sliced ham
- 4 eggs
- pinch pepper
- snipped chives , optional
- Set a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, cut a hole with a large heart-shaped cookie cutter (or a round cutter about 2 1/2-in. wide) in centre of each piece of bread.
- Melt butter in pan and swirl to coat. Add bread slices to butter in pan. Fold a slice of prosciutto or ham so it fits into the hole of each with some overhang on bread. Immediately crack an egg into the centre of each prosciutto-filled bread slice.
- Cover and cook until egg whites are cooked but yolk is still runny, 6 to 8 min. Carefully check bottoms of bread slices occasionally and, if browning too quickly, reduce heat. Sprinkle with pepper, then chives. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 20 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,