Recipe by Kristy Kohler and Eliza Larson, co-founders of Oat Mama, and excerpted from Eat to Feed: 80 Nourishing Recipes for Breastfeeding Moms, published by Hachette Book Group, 2019. Photo by Eliza Larson.
Black rice chia porridgeBy Today's Parent
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 4
Black rice, chia seeds and coconut—what could be better? This easy to make breakfast porridge is packed with antioxidants, perfect for nursing mothers.
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium pot. Whisk together until there are no clumps of coconut milk and the chia seeds and rice are evenly distributed.
- Bring the mixture up to a boil, and then cover pot with a lid and turn the burner to low.
- Simmer on low until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is softened, about one hour, giving a brief stir once or twice throughout to prevent sticking.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite toppings. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Fresh banana slices or caramelized banana, sliced almonds, fresh or toasted coconut flakes, chunks of fresh mango, hemp seeds, splash of coconut cream.