Originally published in the February 2010 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Big Breakfast Pie
This pie is great for a late-start weekend or for hectic weeknights when only breakfast-for-dinner will do. No fuss puff pastry is the hero of this dish.
- 3 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 1/2 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 7 eggs , divided
- pinch black pepper
- pinch dried oregano , or thyme
- 3 to 4 slices smoked deli ham , each sliced into 3 pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze sausage meat from casings into a non-stick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Break meat up with a spatula and stir until no pink remains—about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Roll pastry into a rough circle about 12 inches in diameter. Place in a 9 inch pie plate and let edges hang over the sides.
- Whisk 6 eggs with pepper and oregano. Spoon a little of the egg mixture into a saucer and set aside. Scrape sausage mixture into pie shell. Arrange ham overtop, pour in egg mixture, then tilt plate to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with cheese. In small, overlapping sections, fold pastry up toward centre of pie tightly, with just a small hole showing. Puff pastry is very elastic, so don’t be afraid to tug. Brush top with reserved egg mixture.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and crack remaining egg in hole in centre of pie. Carefully return to oven and continue to bake until pastry is golden and egg is set, about 15 minutes more. Remove to a wire rack and let stand about 8 minutes before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24.2 g,
- 16.3 g,
- 36.7 g,
- 0.5 g,