Banana Berry Brunch Crumble
Kids love this crumble; and they'll even enjoy helping you make it. They can cut up bananas and mix with berries, and mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the fruit mixture.
- 4 ripe bananas , peeled and sliced 1/2-in. thick
- 2 cups mixed berries , any kind (frozen is fine too)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats , (not instant)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9 in (23 cm) pie pan (or round baking dish).
- In a bowl, toss together the bananas, berries and lemon juice until combined. Add the granulated sugar and stir until well mixed. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and coconut. With a fork, mash everything together until it forms a crumply mixture. You actually might find it easier (and more fun) to mix this together by hand, rubbing the ingredients with your fingers until it forms clumpy soft crumbs. Sprinkle overtop the banana mixture in the dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned. Let cool slightly before serving with yogurt, cream or creme fraiche. (Our personal favourite is a half-and-half mixture of lightly sweetened whipped cream and plain or vanilla yogurt.)