Baked fruit pancakes
This article has not been rated yet.
Recipe by Bonny Reichert
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar , plus 1 tbsp
- 7-10 plums , or peeled pears, sliced thickly and squeezed with a few drops of lemon juice
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Prepare two round baking dishes or foil pans, approx 8 in. (2 L) in size, by rubbing bottom and sides with butter and sprinkling with 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar. (If your dish is an inch or two larger or smaller the pancake will just be thinner or thicker. No worries.) Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whisk until mixed thoroughly. (You can use an electric mixer but I don’t think it’s worth the trouble.) Whisk in flour, a little at a time, to prevent lumps. Add salt, vanilla, milk and cream and mix until just combined.
- Cover the dish bottoms with sliced fruit. Carefully pour in batter, dividing between the two dishes. Fruit will float up. That’s OK. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes, until custard is just set and lightly brown around the edges. Serve by the spoonful, or in wedges like a pizza.