Originally published in the Today’s Parent July/August 2020 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Grilled chicken drumsticks with coleslawBy Chatelaine
Drumsticks come with a built-in handle kids will love. Paired with a store-bought coleslaw mix and you've got a quick and easy summer dinner.
- 10 chicken drumsticks , (about 1 kg)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tsp cider vinegar , divided
- 5 tsp honey Dijon mustard , divided
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 celery seed
- 454-g pkg coleslaw mix
- Preheat barbecue to medium. Toss drumsticks with oil and salt in a large bowl. Season with pepper.
- Stir ketchup with brown sugar, 2 tsp vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, paprika and Worcestershire in a small saucepan set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved, about 1 min. Reserve half of the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside to let cool slightly.
- Oil grill. Barbecue drumsticks, with lid closed, for 10 min. Flip and brush with sauce from pan. Continue barbecuing, turning often, until springy when pressed, about 10 more min.
- Stir mayonnaise with remaining 4 tsp vinegar, remaining 4 tsp mustard and celery seed in a large bowl. Add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. Serve slaw alongside drumsticks and reserved barbecue sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 43 g,
- 24 g,
- 64 g,
- 3 g,
- 1 mg.