Eggs Benedict Strata
8 to 10 servings
When you're making eggs Benedict for a whole lot of people, it's hard to keep everything hot enough without it drying out. So I've concocted this yummy strata, which has all the flavour and ingredients of eggs Benedict without the fussy individual portions. If you'd prefer not to use ham, substitute leftover cooked turkey or smoked deli-sliced turkey.
- 8 English muffins
- 6 oz sliced Black Forest ham , chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup 5% cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp chopped chives , or green onions
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere , or Swiss
- 2 plum tomatoes , chopped, (optional)
- Split English muffins; cut each half into quarters and arrange, bumpy sides up, in a greased 13 x 9 inch (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped ham.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, chives, mustard and pepper. Pour over ham and English muffin mixture, and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- Uncover and sprinkle with tomatoes, if using, and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Makes 8-10 servings.
- In a serving: 255 calories, 15 g protein, 10 g fat, 25 g carbs, 271 mg calcium