Huevos Diab'licos Mexicanos
This article has not been rated yet.
A shot of salsa and a sprinkle of cheese give a Mexican twist to good old devilled eggs. Use spicy salsa if you want some heat or mild if you prefer things more subdued.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup salsa , (mild, medium or spicy)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 green onions , finely chopped
- chopped parsley , or cilantro for garnish
- Cool and peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place them in a food processor (if you have one) or a mixing bowl. Arrange the whites on a plate and set aside.
- To the yolks, add the shredded cheese, salsa, mayonnaise and green onions. If you’re using a food processor, process until the mixture is well blended but not entirely smooth (a few lumps are good). If you’re doing this by hand, just mash all the ingredients together with a fork until very well mixed and fairly smooth.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a small, clean zip-top bag. Cut off one corner and squeeze the filling into the egg whites, mounding up the mixture neatly (use up all the filling). You can, of course, simply spoon the filling into the egg whites, but that isn’t nearly as cool. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of parsley or cilantro, and refrigerate, covered lightly with plastic wrap, until ready to serve.