6 to 6 servings
These pickles can be defrosted and eaten anytime. (Your grandmother would be impressed.)
- 8 cups small cucumbers , scrubbed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp coarse pickling salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tbsp whole celery seeds
- 1 tbsp whole mustard seeds
- Cut the ends off the cucumbers and slice them crosswise, as thinly as possible. Place slices in a large bowl. Peel the onion, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into slices as thinly as possible. Add to the cucumbers. Sprinkle with salt and stir to mix. Let sit for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then pour over the sliced cucumbers in the bowl. Stir well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours (more or less), stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to individual containers or zipper-top bags and freeze.