What to know before you go
1. Do your research Travel Health Advisory published by Health Canada has all the latest info about disease outbreaks in other countries.
2. Find a caregiver in case of emergency near your destination Your current caregiver should be able to help you find one. Or, if you’re planning to take a cruise ensure that there is a doctor onboard and that they’re aware of your pregnancy.
3. Pack: your favourite pillow, prenatal records and anti-nausea medicine (if recommended by your doctor).
4. Plan ahead to be comfortable Request a seat on the plane close to the washroom with plenty of leg room.
5. Whether you’re flying or driving it’s important to keep blood circulating so try to go for a short walk every so often or do some light seated stretches.
6. Check in with your doctor before booking your flight Certain conditions in pregnancy — such as severe anemia, sickle cell disease, clotting disorders and placental insufficiency — can increase the risk of problems, says the mayoclinic.com
7. Plan to travel in your second trimester, since this is when you’ll feel the best.
Where to go
Bedwell Harbour on Pender Island
No matter what time of year you go, this resort offers a relaxing indulgent vacation tucked away in Bedwell Harbour on Pender Island, British Columbia. Surrounded by nature with a full-service spa and plenty of low-key activities, this getaway provides a great destination for a babymoon.
Manitou Springs Hotel and Mineral Spa
Located in the heart of Canada’s prairies this hotel offers more than the usual spa services. Guests are welcome to take a dip in the legendary Manitou Lake, known for its healing powers. Its naturally buoyant waters contain many of the same healing minerals found in the Dead Sea, says Tourism Saskatchewan.
This resort has something for everyone: golf for the dad-to-be, massage and facials for mom and even the Happy Tails Pet Resort & Camp nearby if you have a family pet you can’t leave at home. Located just outside Huntsville, Ont., in the renowned Muskoka region, the neighbourhood offers peaceful nature walks as well as shopping in town.
Spa Eastman, Health and Wellness Retreat
For the nature-lover, this resort is situated on 315 acres of property with an incredible view of Mont Orford. Not only does it offer some spectacular nature walks but also a picturesque garden to wander through. The fresh air of this resort will do you (and your baby-on-the-way) wonders while you and your partner relax together.
Old Orchard Inn and Spa
Located in the scenic Annapolis Valley, this inn is just one hour away from Halifax and surrounded by a number of gorgeous small towns to visit. Whether you like hoping around or simply relaxing in the serene spa, this resort has a lot to offer but also maintains a quiet charm.
Maya Tulum Wellness Retreat and Spa
If you’re looking to head south to enjoy some sun and sand before the baby arrives, this resort offers the perfect relaxing getaway.
Breezes Bella Costa
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly tropical vacation, this resort offers an all-inclusive package and is located just 10 minutes from downtown Varadero. An international clinic is located within 15 minutes of the hotel and is open 24 hours a day.