“So, are you having a boy or a girl?”
Every pregnant woman has been asked this question—several times. Even if you’re choosing to not find out the sex of your baby before your little one arrives, it sure is fun to guess, right?
That’s why we’ve put together this list of old wives’ tales said to predict your baby’s gender. (Remember: These are just for fun—there’s no actual science backing up any of them!)
1. Sweet versus salty: If you find yourself craving all things sweet, that’s a sign you’re having a girl. Cravings for salty or even protein-rich foods mean it might be a boy. (And if you’re craving everything? Well, that just means you’re pregnant.)
2. The garlic test: Put this one to the test at your own—and your partner’s—risk! If you’re able to eat a lot of garlic but not smell like it, apparently that means you’re carrying a girl.
5 ways to cope with morning sickness
3. Morning sickness: Unfortunately, this early pregnancy symptom doesn’t tend to discriminate. But if you’re suffering from excessive nausea and morning sickness, it’s said you could be having a girl.
4. Pregnancy glow, or no? If your complexion is bright and your hair resembles that of a Pantene commercial, you could be having a boy. If that much-talked-about “pregnancy glow” is MIA and you’re breaking out, it may just mean you’ve got a girl growing. (It’s said little girls steal Mom’s good looks.)
5. Partner’s weight gain: As this old wives’ tale goes, if your partner is gaining weight alongside you (also known as “sympathy weight”), that could be a sign that you’re carrying a girl. (Who wants to go to the gym when there’s nesting to be done?)
6. Moody versus mellow: If you’re feeling more moody than mellow, you might be having a girl. If you’re more chilled out, legend has it you should get ready for a boy.
7. The eye test: Look in the mirror for about a minute. If your pupils are dilating, it means you’re having a boy.
8. Carrying high versus low: According to pregnancy lore, carrying high means you’re having a girl, while carrying low means it’s a boy.
9. The ring test: Tie a ring on a string and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circular motion, you could be having a girl, but if it’s swinging side to side, it means you’re having a boy.
10. Heart rate: During your next ultrasound, pay attention to baby’s heart rate. If that little ticker is beating faster than 140 beats per minute, get ready for a girl.
11. Chinese gender chart: Place one finger on the age you were when you conceived and another finger on the month of conception. Where your fingers meet in the middle will tell you if you’re expecting a little boy or girl. Are you ready to try this fun chart out? Find it here.
12. Blood pressure before you conceive: This one is a little more tricky to do. A study found that the higher a woman’s blood pressure is 26 weeks before she conceived, the more likely she is to have a boy. So if you had a doctor’s appointment before you started trying to get pregnant, look back and see what your blood pressure was—it could be the very scientific clue to whether you’re having a little dude or dudette.
So, based on these old wives’ tales, do you think you’re having a boy or a girl?