Choose one food from each category to pack a healthy lunch:
Provide energy, fibre and staying power. Whole-grain products offer more fibre to keep kids feeling full longer.
• grains (bread, wrap, pasta, crackers, rice)
• sweet or white potato (baked, sweet potato fries, in risotto or soup)
• beans and lentils
Supply the building blocks for the body’s growth, repair and day-to-day functioning. Combined with a carbohydrate, they keep your kid fuelled longer.
• plain Greek yogurt
• beans, fish
Help little ones stay energized so they can pay attention and behave in class — and out.
• hummus, guacamole
• rice cakes with tahini and fruit spread or jam
• trail mix (raisins, dried cranberries, goji berries, cereal, sunflower seeds)
• granola bar
Essential for memory, concentration, stamina and overall brain and nerve function.
• oily fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, mackerel), tinned or fresh
• seeds (sesame, flower, flax, pumpkin)
• omega-3 eggs
Fruits and vegetables
Provide fibre, antioxidants and powerful plant nutrients not found in proteins and carbohydrates.
• mango (freeze before packing to avoid browning)
• sugar snap peas • cucumber
Put it all together
Need some inspiration? Try these five interchangeable lunch and snack ideas:
• Whole-grain pita pocket stuffed with egg, tuna or salmon salad, plus sliced cucumber
• Kiwi fruit, halved and ready to scoop out with a spoon, and low-sugar yogurt
• Pepper slices and cottage cheese
• Whole wheat wrap filled with sliced meat (turkey, chicken or ham), grated carrot and avocado
• Apple slices with cinnamon
• Cracker or vegetable sticks and hummus
• Baked potato with mixed-bean chili or baked beans, topped with grated cheese and served in Thermos
• Celery sticks filled with tahini (sesame seed spread)
• Baked tortilla or pita chips and guacamole
• Diluted juice
• Chicken noodle soup with extra vegetables
• Frozen or fresh mango
• Apple slices and cheese
• Coconut water
• Pasta served with tomato sauce (add extra vegetables: mushroom, peppers, broccoli)
• Cottage cheese and pineapple
• Granola bar and apple slices