1. Add a thin coat of icing and chill cake in the fridge.
2. To create a scalloped look, fill a large zip-lock bag with icing.
3. Cut ¾ in. off one corner.
4. Pipe a column of ¾-in. dots on the side of the cake.
5. Press the back of a small spoon firmly into one dot and smear to the right.
6. Wipe spoon clean with a paper towel.
7. Repeat with remaining dots.
8. Pipe another column of dots in the smeared area and repeat the process all over the cake.
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline "Piece of cake", p. 51.