Our cottage community is so small and now even smaller since our summer residents have returned to the city for the winter. I don’t want to make an enemy of one of the few year-round neighbours we have, but when it comes to the safety of myself and our children, this isn’t a situation I take lightly. I’ve bought dog pepper spray, but I’m not sure whether to call our municipal bylaw officer to see if there have been other complaints about this dog. I would also like to speak again to our neighbour to explain that I now have spray and also to see if there is a chance they would consider installing fencing or tying their dog.
On my end, I know I did everything right to avoid and reduce any injuries that might have occurred:
- I stayed calm
- By staying out of the dog's territory and remaining on the road, we didn't provoke him
- I didn't run away from the attack
- I let go of my dog's leash so that I wouldn't get pulled into the dog fight
- I moved the running stroller away from the dog fight
- I let the owner get involved, instead of me (though I dread to imagine what it would have been like if the owner wasn't home)