Above: Me with my eldest son, Connor.
I remember when I found out I was pregnant with my first son. We had been trying for about 10 months to no avail, until one morning, to my surprise, I looked down to my pee-stained test and saw blue. What did I think at first? Well, to be honest, I wasn't sure I could handle a little person in my life. After all, I had only been married for a year and a half — and I was still getting used to looking after a man... Not that I wasn't responsible enough or mature enough to be a mom (heck, I have two amazing boys now that I wouldn't trade for the world!), but at the time, I was so heavily engrossed in my job and climbing the corporate ladder that I was worried I wouldn't be able to balance both. Or, maybe I was a bit worried I would lose my personal identity in some way. Don't get me wrong, I was elated to know I was going to be entering a new chapter in my life — I just didn't know what to expect and how it would change me for the better. But it has. And after having two boys who are almost five years apart, I can honestly say that my kids have helped me become the person I am today.
What to expect when you're not expecting yet:
1. The day you find out you're pregnant you'll go from surprise to panic to shock to happiness, and back again.
2. Even though you're married (such as in my case) you'll still get nervous about telling your parents you're pregnant because they'll know for sure that you've had sex.
3. Your job will instantly become second priority.
4. Baby names will automatically start popping into your head whether you want them to or not.
5. You will be drawn to baby stores and maternity wear every time you step into a mall.
6. No matter how much you try to avoid it, you will wonder when your ex will hear the news (and what he'll say).
7. You'll start cleaning the house and ‘nesting’ until all hours of the night, even when you have to get up early the next day for work.
8. Your body will start doing things you never thought possible (PMS is nothing!).
9. You'll start to learn that the whole world doesn't revolve around you anymore, and that your future child will quite literally become the centre of your universe.
10. You’ll realize all those pregnancy tests you bought and threw away were worth the money in the end.
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners