I hope you don’t mind, but I am hijacking this blog space: Instead of writing about an interesting parenting dilemma, (of which I have many, I assure you!), I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself.
Not sure if you’ve heard, but I am the new Editor-in-Chief at Today’s Parent. I started the first week of June, and I cannot tell you how amazing it is to be a part of this talented team. I consider myself very fortunate and I look forward to all the exciting things to come. (We are going to have a ton of fun!)
So, I thought I’d take a moment to give you a little info about me….
-I married my high-school sweetheart after dating for close to 13 years; we will celebrate our 11-year wedding anniversary in August.
-I am the mother of four children, aged 5-9. I had my daughter first, and then I had three boys in 16 months. (Twins followed by a happy surprise.)
-My approach to parenting: Whatever works best for your family is the right answer!
-I am a girlie girl, and a girl’s girl. I love fashion, and am a beauty junkie.
-I am a “flexible” vegan and eat gluten-free.
-I try to be genuine at all times.
-I talk a lot, and ask a million questions.
-I like it when my kids get dirty because it means they are having a blast.
-Happily, I wake up every day thankful for everything I have, and cherish my family. My wish is for everyone to feel the same.
I am also really, really curious. (One of the more flattering nicknames my husband has for me is, “Curious Karine.”) Lately, I have been asking everyone, “How do you do it?” How do you balance all the “things” you do every day? I am constantly looking for ways to improve my time management skills (a.k.a. control the chaos). I came up with a a series of questions I would love to ask every parent out there. Here are my answers to: “How Does She Do It?”
- Name? Karine Erika Ewart
- Age? 39 (by the time you read this, that may not be true anymore!)
- Secret to a happy relationship? Stay on the same path. And lower your expectations.
- Kids/ages? Four, aged 9, 6, 6 and 5
- Job status? Recently returned to work full-time after working from home for the past few years.
- What do you do for childcare? For now, juggle babysitters and family. Need more permanent solution ASAP!
- How do you put your kids to bed? 8 p.m.: Bath time, pj’s, brush teeth, story time, lights out. Three fall asleep quickly. One is a whole different story.
- Do your kids sleep through the night? If 50% sleep through, it’s a good night.
- What vehicle do you drive? Yukon XL (one of the few vehicles that could accommodate four car seats, two adults and two dogs)
- How would you describe a typical dinner in your home? Controlled chaos, but all together as much as possible. Have been known to bribe with TV to get them to sit and eat quickly if necessary.
- Fright night go-to meal? Call our favourite pizza joint for delivery. Or have breakfast for dinner.
- Favourite way to spend alone time? In bed with coffee and a magazine. Fantasy option: reading a cheesy paperback beside the adult-only serenity pool at the Four Seasons Maui.
- Favourite way to exercise? Running and tennis.
- Last time you looked around and thought, “This is a good moment”? When my kids all climbed into our bed to watch my husband open his Father’s Day gifts—most of which were random household items we already owned that they had wrapped up as presents.
That’s quite enough about me. Now, I’d love to hear how YOU do it: Pick any or all of the questions above and share how you juggle the many roles you play on a daily basis. And add any questions you’d like. (What are your favourite kids’ books? What is your parenting mantra? The list is endless….)
I can’t wait to hear from you.
All the best,
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.