1. Look after her. Help her conserve energy and get enough rest.
2. Encourage and, if need be, help organize outside help and support from friends and family.
3. Put the time and effort into learning baby care skills. A competent parenting partner is a new mom’s best friend.
4. Support breastfeeding — a dad’s support is one of the most important factors in breastfeeding success. Your support is also essential if she doesn’t or can’t breastfeed, or has to give it up.
5. Share in the experience. Talk to her about the baby — listen to her joys and her worries.
Note: This article is part of a larger feature on supporting your partner, originally published in Today’s Parent Pregnancy. To read more, click on the following links: