Josh Cameron and his mom, Jennifer, of Guelph, Ont., have organized several Earth Day cleanups. They offer this advice for organizing a neighbourhood event.
- garbage bags
- plastic or latex gloves
- hand sanitizer to use before eating
- litterless snacks (juice, fruit, muffins in reusable containers)
Note: To lower your costs, ask your city’s parks department to donate some materials.
Eco action plan:
- Get the word out: Knock on doors, email and use free newspaper or radio announcements to let people know about your cleanup event.
- Set an rain date just in case.
- The day before, adults should scour the area and pick up hazardous materials (broken glass, condoms, etc.).
No time to organize a neighbourhood event? “Even one or two families with a few garbage bags can make a difference,” says Jennifer.