Paper-mâché balloon bowl
- 1 balloon
- decoupage glue
- 1-inch foam brush
- newspaper, torn into roughly 1-inch squares
- plain newsprint (available at craft stores), torn into roughly 1-inch squares
- scissors (decorative-edge optional)
- Inflate the balloon. Coat the top half with decoupage glue using a foam brush. Press newspaper pieces on top, and then add another topcoat of glue. Continue until you have a bowl-like shape.
- Cover the newspaper from step 1 using the same technique, but with a layer of newsprint pieces. Add a third layer of newspaper, and then a fourth of newsprint. Let dry overnight.
- Pop the balloon, peel the latex from inside the bowl and discard. Cut the edge of the bowl with scissors.
- Now paint away! You can keep it simple with a solid inside, a contrasting exterior and a bright edge, or go wild with a pattern.
Excerpted from Project Kid: 100 Ingenious Crafts for Family Fun by Amanda Kingloff (Artisan Books), © 2014.
A version of this article appeared in our May 2014 issue with the headline “Papier-mâché balloon bowl,” p. 20.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.