To make this cake, you will need to make an 8-in. square cake and an 8-in. round cake.
1. Refrigerate cakes until they are firm. Then, with a long serrated knife, trim off the domed portions from both cakes so that they are flat on top.
2. Cut the round cake in half crosswise.
3. Arrange into a heart shape on a cake stand or platter by placing the two semicircles against two adjacent edges of the whole square cake.
4. Use icing to stick the pieces together.
5. Add a thin layer of icing and refrigerate.
6. Apply top layer of icing and chill until firm.
7. Place a doily on the cake and sift icing sugar over it evenly.
8. Carefully remove doily.
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline “Piece of cake”, p. 51.
[widgets_on_pages id=”Birthday Hub”]