Photo: Roberto Caruso
To make this cake, you will need to make an 8-in. square cake and an 8-in. round cake.
1. Refrigerate cakes until they are firm. Then, with a long serrated knife, trim off the domed portions from both cakes so that they are flat on top.
2. Cut the round cake in half crosswise.
3. Arrange into a heart shape on a cake stand or platter by placing the two semicircles against two adjacent edges of the whole square cake.
4. Use icing to stick the pieces together.
5. Add a thin layer of icing and refrigerate.
6. Apply top layer of icing and chill until firm.
7. Place a doily on the cake and sift icing sugar over it evenly.
8. Carefully remove doily.
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline "Piece of cake", p. 51.
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners