For this cake, you will need to bake an 8-in. square cake.
1. Refrigerate cake until it’s firm. Trim off the domed top with a long serrated knife.
2. Cut cake according to chart.
3. Arrange shapes on a platter, sticking pieces together by icing the cut edges.
4. Apply a thin layer of icing all over the cake and refrigerate.
5. Then add a second layer of icing.
Insert lollipops into cake in your desired pattern; trim the sticks if needed. (If lollipops present a choking hazard to any of your guests, remove them after the candles are blown out and photos have been taken. Or, top with colourful candy or cereal.)
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline “Piece of cake”, p. 51.
10 super-easy cake decorating ideas
23 easy DIY cake toppers
Easy buttercream recipe