For this cake, you will need to bake an 8-in. square cake.
1. Refrigerate cake until it’s firm. Trim off the domed top with a long serrated knife.
2. Cut cake according to chart.
3. Arrange shapes on a platter, sticking pieces together by icing the cut edges.
4. Apply a thin layer of icing all over the cake and refrigerate.
5. Then add a second layer of icing.
Insert lollipops into cake in your desired pattern; trim the sticks if needed. (If lollipops present a choking hazard to any of your guests, remove them after the candles are blown out and photos have been taken. Or, top with colourful candy or cereal.)
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline “Piece of cake”, p. 51.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.