1. To make a doughnut-shaped cake, place an oven-safe drinking glass wrapped in foil in the centre of an 8- or 9-in. round pan.
2. Slowly pour in the batter and bake according to the recipe.
3. Once cooled, place on a stand.
4. Stir 1 cup icing sugar with 3 or 4 tsp of milk to make a thick glaze—it shouldn’t be runny.
5. Add gel food colouring if desired.
6. Spread icing sparingly over the top of cake.
7. Use the back of a spoon to push some glaze to the edge.
8. Top with licorice candy “sprinkles.”
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline "Piece of cake", p. 51.
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners