1. To make a doughnut-shaped cake, place an oven-safe drinking glass wrapped in foil in the centre of an 8- or 9-in. round pan.
2. Slowly pour in the batter and bake according to the recipe.
3. Once cooled, place on a stand.
4. Stir 1 cup icing sugar with 3 or 4 tsp of milk to make a thick glaze—it shouldn’t be runny.
5. Add gel food colouring if desired.
6. Spread icing sparingly over the top of cake.
7. Use the back of a spoon to push some glaze to the edge.
8. Top with licorice candy “sprinkles.”
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline “Piece of cake”, p. 51.
[widgets_on_pages id=”Birthday Hub”]
Stay in touch
Subscribe to Today's Parent's daily newsletter for our best parenting news, tips, essays and recipes.