Before you start to decorate, you need to prime your cake. Spread a thin layer of of frosting to seal in the crumbs—the pros call this a “crumb coat.” Let the icing harden for 30 minutes in the fridge. Add a topcoat, and let the fun begin.
1. After the second coat of icing, chill cake until the icing is firm, about 30 min.
2. Cut a piece of waxed paper that’s long enough to fit around the cake.
3. Microwave moulding wafers in an open zip-lock bag until melted.
4. Seal bag, and cut a small piece off one corner.
5. Pipe a swirl pattern all over the waxed paper.
6. Wrap candy design around the cake, then slowly peel off the waxed paper.
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline "Piece of cake", p. 51.
Keep up with your baby's development, get the latest parenting content and receive special offers from our partners