Before you start to decorate, you need to prime your cake. Spread a thin layer of of frosting to seal in the crumbs—the pros call this a “crumb coat.” Let the icing harden for 30 minutes in the fridge. Add a topcoat, and let the fun begin.
1. After the second coat of icing, chill cake until the icing is firm, about 30 min.
2. Cut a piece of waxed paper that’s long enough to fit around the cake.
3. Microwave moulding wafers in an open zip-lock bag until melted.
4. Seal bag, and cut a small piece off one corner.
5. Pipe a swirl pattern all over the waxed paper.
6. Wrap candy design around the cake, then slowly peel off the waxed paper.
A version of this article appeared in our April 2016 issue with the headline “Piece of cake”, p. 51.
[widgets_on_pages id=”Birthday Hub”]