This striped birthday cake looks like a rainbow, and can be made right at home in your kid’s favourite colours. It’s so easy to put together—we promise.
- vanilla cake batter (like this Vanilla Birthday Cake)
- food colouring (up to four different colours)
- vanilla icing
- coloured icing
- four bowls
- four cake pans
1. Prepare vanilla cake batter according to instructions. Separate into four bowls and dye with food colouring, then bake separately in four pans.
2. Once the cakes are cool, trim layers so tops are flat. Stack on top of each other, with a layer of vanilla icing between each.
3. Cover entire cake with vanilla icing. Decorate the top and sides using coloured icing.
A version of this article appeared in the August 2013 issue.