This burger birthday cake is sure to elicit gasps of surprise, wonder and delight. Our how-to guide shows just how easy this showstopper cake is to make—and yes, despite how real it looks, we promise this cake is nothing but sweet!
- 1 round golden cake (sliced in half)
- 1 chocolate cake layer
- chocolate icing
- red tube icing
- pine nuts
- green and yellow fruit rolls
1. Gather 1 round golden cake (sliced in half), 1 chocolate cake layer, chocolate icing, red tube icing, pine nuts and green and yellow fruit rolls.
2. Stick pine nuts on top of cake “bun” with water. Drape yellow fruit roll pieces over cake “burger.” Ice bottom cake “bun” with chocolate icing.
3. Layer “burger” on bottom “bun.” Drizzle with red icing “ketchup.” Cut green fruit roll into strips and ruffle them to look like lettuce leaves. Place around edges of burger. Top with remaining cake.
Throwing a malt shop party? This burger cake will make for the best surprise!
A version of this article appeared in the February 2014 issue with the headline “Burger cake,” p. 106.