After its popular debut last year, the DigiPlaySpace is back with a couple of returning favourites, along with all-new family-friendly activities. With a six-week run that kicks off right in time for the March Break, the DigiPlaySpace highlights include:
- Weather Worlds: An interactive ecosystem where kids control the elements through body movements
- Touch Circuits: Kids can create music and control a robot arm, among other activities
- Please Do Not Feed the Bugs: Little virtual slithery creatures move across the floor based on your movements
- Body Paint: Kids (and adults, of course!) use their bodies like a paintbrush to create a masterpiece on a digital canvas (see below)
- Be in the Scene: Interactive green-screen technology allows kids to insert themselves into a variety of movie scenes
- The Puppet Powered Mega-Pixilation Dream Engine: A stop-motion experience that allows kids to assemble puppet parts, turn them into characters and bring them to life
The Kids DigiPlaySpace runs at the TIFF Bell Lightbox from March 9 until April 21, 2013.
Also this morning, the 16th annual Kids International Film Festival announced its official movie lineup. The fest boasts a stellar lineup of full-length features and short films geared towards children between the ages of three and 13.
With 117 films in total — 29 features and 88 short films from 40 countries — the Festival kicks off with Canada’s first 3D animated film, The Legend of Sarila. With a plot comprised of various Inuit legends, the film promises stunning visuals and features the voice of Canadian Oscar-winner Christopher Plummer. This year’s closing night selection is the premiere of Famous Five 2 (Funf Freunde 2), a German film based on the classic Enid Blyton novel. For a full list of films and their schedules, visit the TIFF website.
And guess who is joining in on the fun? For the first time ever, children’s TV staple Sesame Street is taking part in the Festival for one weekend only! Take the kids on a family outing to the Sesame Workshop for a full weekend of entertaining educational activities — including a free screening of Elmo’s Alphabet Challenge and a mascot meet-and-greet where kids can interact with Elmo, Cookie Monster and Abby Cadabby!
The Kids International Film Festival takes place at the TIFF Bell Lightbox from April 9 through April 21, 2013.
The Sesame Workshop will run for one weekend only from April 20 to April 21, 2013.