1. It’s high in vitamins A, C and E, which makes it a great antioxidant.
2. It’s high in minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium.
3. It has eight essential amino acids, so if you ate quinoa and nothing else, your body could digest it and use it.
4. Quinoa also contains the important amino acid histidine, which is essential for human development and growth.
5. When you eat quinoa, you will use 90 percent of the good stuff being put into your body.
6. Quinoa is an excellent source of iron.
7. Quinoa is also a good source of fibre. It’s a great option for parents who are having a tough time getting their kids to eat vegetables, which are also full of this important part of your family’s diet.
8. Quinoa is very low on the glycemic index, so when your kids eat it, it sustains them for longer.
9. Quinoa is hypoallergenic, so it’s easy to add into any family’s diet.
10. This seed is a complete protein.
A version of this article appeared in our November 2012 issue with the headline “Top 10 reasons quinoa is so good for you,” p. 136.
Want to talk to other parents about health and nutrition? Join the “Kids’ Health” board in our forums>